Mark your calendars: Sunday is Grandparents’ Day! Want to do something special with Grammy and Gramps? Today Homecare Advocate is covering some tips to help you and your special senior have a lovely Grandparents’ Day out and about!
Day on the Town
To many seniors, this is the perfect time of year for a fun day out. Early September in East Tennessee means a break from the sweltering August heat, the fair comes to town, and weekends are packed with events for the locals. Why not take Grandma out for a fun day on the town?
Check your local events calendar for upcoming activities this Sunday. Whether it’s attending the Tennessee Valley Fair or even enjoying an Old Fashioned Sunday, you’ll be sure to have a great time as you make wonderful memories together. Plan ahead, thinking of transportation, how your loved one will ambulate, where you’re going and how long you’ll be there, and whether/not there are dietary restrictions. For a day trip, consider:
- Event Parking, particularly distance to the event location
- Mobility Assistance, such as a Cane, Rollator, or Transport Chair OR
- Renting a wheelchair for the weekend
- Water Bottle to be hydrated
- Swivel Seats, great in the car to help get in and out
- Compression Hose for those that have poor circulation or swelling when standing
- Hearty Snacks to keep blood sugar stabilized and maintain energy
What other “must haves” do you recommend people bring for an activity? Stay tuned, next up is Tips for Trips–how to go on grand adventures with grandparents.